Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Somebody's Watching Me

The other night, I was sitting on the couch at home in St. Albans, Vermont,  mindlessly watching television, when I felt somebody outdoors was watching me.

These pansies on my back deck as viewed through
 my living room door, resemble a boisterous
audience interested in what's going on around them.
As I've noted before, we've just installed big new glass doors and windows in the living room, Was somebody out there? I just felt there were some faces that seemed interested in what I was doing.

I looked outside and figured it out. The yellow pansies in a planter on the deck resembled faces, with expressions suggesting curiosity about me and what's going on around them.   Look at  the pic in this post to see what I mean.

It's funny how inanimate objects seem to have personalities, at least in my mind. Flowers in particular. Daffodils are enthusiastic. "Hi there,!" they seem to cheerily shout as they announce the arrival of spring. Sunflowers are loud extroverts, the life of the party. Irises are friendly old aunts. Tulips remind of me of haughty Champagne sippers. Zinnias are like clots of happily chattering school children in a playground.  Lilacs are warm, heavily perfumed matrons of a certain age.

Yes, I know I'm being a bit insane here. But I guess that's one of the reasons why I want to keep planting flowers and perennials around the house. The more personalities brightening the property, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment