Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Really Looking Forward to "Off Their Rockers" Insanity

I normally don't get too excited over the hype surrounding upcoming network television shows, but I am bouncing with excitement over "Betty White's Off Their Rockers"

The show, hosted by the superb Betty White, looks like it will be a slapstick stupid "reality" show featuring older people doing outrageous things to punk and terrify younger people.

Yes, I know it's a bit condescending to laugh as older people break stereotypes and blurt out blunt sexual innuendos, perform pratfalls worthy of Larry, Moe, and Curly and generally terrorize the younger folk.

And yes, this could be just a really stupid, boring bust, but I'm optimistic.

In the promotional material for the NBC show, it does tweak the coveted 18 to 49 year old age group that the television folks say are the only relevant people in the universe when it comes to TV viewers. This resonates with me because I, ahem, turn 50 later this year.

What I like about it, potentially, is the show might do just a little to make people realize that it's not gross or bad if older people have a little fun. Are you listening, juiced out 20-something frat boys in the gym who resent people like me, old enough to be their father, pushing the weights around too?

Sorry, there's lots  of "old people" out there now. Deal with it, or get out of our way. Especially get out of Betty White's way.

Anway, the tag line of the show is "The saying is 'respect your elders.' It doesn't say anything about respecting you back."

"Off Their Rockers is scheduled to debut next Monday, the 16th, after Betty White's 90th birthday special.

White, by the way, is playing down her birthday. She's been quoted as saying, "Everybody is celebrating it for me. Don't give me any credit. I didn't do anything. It just happened."

Here's a funny promotional video for the show:

No comments:

Post a Comment