Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Scent of Valentine's Day

 Valentine's Day is coming up, and that means it's time to show your honey  just how much you love him or her.

My suggestion is to back sloowwwwlly away from the cliches: You know, the roses, the romantic dinner, the chocolates.
This guy stands ready to give you a romantic sewage
plant tour. Photo by Todd Maisel, New York Daily News.

So what does that leave as a Valentine's gift?  Glad you asked. I suggest a nice romantic getaway to New York City, where there is a special Valentine's Day tour of the city's Newton Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant.

I know, I know, sewage doesn't necessarily scream "I Love You!" but look at it this way. If you take your beau on this tour, she or he will know you thought long and hard to find something unique to give.  And isn't that the point of Valentine's Day?

Think of the special memories of this sewage tour. As plant superintendent Jim Pynn said in a New York Daily News feature on this heartwarming tour:“ 


Just imagine going home and saying, ‘Where did he take me on Valentine’s Day? I went to see the digester eggs in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.”


Those digester eggs, by the way, are a huge highlight of the tour. Basically, according to the Daily News, like a giant stomach that treats convert waste to something, well, not quite as bad, I suppose. 


Nothing says love like contemplating a digestive system. 


And after your romantic, heartwarming tour of the sewage plant, maybe you can find time and energy to explore the Fresh Kills landfill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment