Monday, April 2, 2012

Crazy Songs for a Crazy Guy

Should I, and everyone else around me, be worried because two of my all time favorite songs are called "Crazy"?

One "Crazy," is that classic by Patsy Cline. It's a heartache song, of course, but it's the perfect cry in your beer in a dive bar song. "I'm crazy for trying. I'm crazy for crying. And I'm crazy for loving you."

Watch the first crazy:


The second "Crazy" is by Gnarles Barkley from 2006. It's really a collaboration between Danger Mouse and Cee Lo Green.

The perfect thing about this song is its genre is confused, kind of like the mind of a crazy person. Is it pop? disco? soul?  The song has pleasing pop hooks and unsettling lyrics. I love the contradictions.

I also love this other contradiction: Cee-lo Green's singing voice sounds like a cynical version of Al Green. (Despite the same last name, they're not related.)

The lyrics suggest that we are all less sane than we'd like to believe. "Who do you, who do you, who do you think you are? Ha ha ha, bless your soul. Do you really think you're in control?

So, enjoy the second helping of today's dose of perfect craziness:

No comments:

Post a Comment