Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeahs Smartphone Edict Suddenly Makes Me A Big Fan Of The Band

The band Yeah Yeah Yeahs have put out an edict at places where they're having concerts: Stop viewing the concert by holding up your smart phone. Nobody can see through the forest of outstretched arms holding the glowing phones.
If you go to a Yeah Yeah Yeahs concert, just
watch them directly, not through your smart phone.

Here's a sign they've been posting at the concert venues:

"Please do not watch the show through a screen on your smart device/camera.
Put that shit away as a courtesy behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian.
Much love and many thanks,
Yeah Yeah Yeahs."

To be honest, I don't think I'd know a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song if I tripped over it. I've heard of the band before, but never investigated them. Now I will have to.

I'm all for snapping pictures of events you're enjoying, but only if you do just that: Snap a quick picture, then get on with it. This might be a bit ironic, but I don't think you can even form a good memory of how you experienced something if you spent all the time recording it so you can watch it later.

It would seem as if you weren't really there if you just look at what you recorded after the moment has passed.

It gets worse. A Facebook friend said he was watching his young daughter at a stage performance at her school. The dad would have loved to actually see what his daughter was doing up there on the stage, but some moron was holding up a nice big iPad to record the event. Lady iPad didn't even seem to care she was blocking the view from everyone else.

Hey, as long as she got her picture and video, who cares, right?

Am I going to be branded as a weirdo the next time I go to a concert because, instead of holding up my iPhone to record the event, I just sit or stand there and enjoy the event?

Maybe when I go out on a date with my husband, I shouldn't have any face to face conversations with him. Maybe we should just text each other, even though we're sitting two feet away from each other.

Human contact and experiencing what's really going on is so 20th century, isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment