Sunday, July 7, 2013

Devo Drummer Dies: Wearing A Flower Pot In His Honor

I just heard the news that Alan Myers, the drummer for that very unsual early 1980s band Devo recently died at the age of 58.

Devo is the band probably most famous for the song "Whip It,"
The band Devo recently lost their drummer to cancer.  

Devo was one of those bands that I loved back when I was in high school and college. They, like Talking Heads, Patti Smith and the B-52s, cast me as a bit of a weirdo when everybody except me was listening to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and, if you were a teeny bopper, Bay City Rollers or something like that.

I just loved Devo's eccentricity. As you can see in the video below, they appear to be wearing flower pots as hats. That was a bit of a trademark for them.

Even when they did a remake, you knew they'd make it their own. Just check out Devo's version of the Rolling Stone's "Can't Get No Satisfaction" if you want proof.

I looked up the Whip It video and it's insane, of course. Which means I love it. It hasn't gotten old with age.

Especially nice, and a good tribute to Myers, comes at the very end of the "Whip It" video. The mom in the video weighs on his antics:  "Oh, that Alan!"

Here's that Whip It video. It will brighten your day:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment