Saturday, August 10, 2013

RIP Eydie Gorme

Word came out today that Eydie Gorme died after a brief illness at the age of 84.

I have to admit as a kid I couldn't STAND Eydie Gorme and her husband and singing partner Steve Lawrence. So lovey dovey. So cheesy. So many teeth in those smile.
The late, great Eydie Gorme  

Of course my negative opinion of Gorme and Lawrence was unfair. What's wrong with love? And if they were so happy and in love with each other and their lives, why should I complain?

One has to remember to not get all cynical and eye-rolling with sedate contentment. And Gorme was a talented singer.

Steve and Eydie were together for 55 years. Steve Lawrence released this touching and sad statement about his wife's death.

"Eydie has been my partner on stage and in life for more than 55 years. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her and even more the first time I heard her sing."

 Very sweet. Really, I retract any nastiness I had toward  Gorme.

Which would make my mother happy. She LOVED Steve and Eydie.

Goodbye, Eydie. I'm sure whereever you are in the afterlife   will sound sweeter with you there.

Here's perhaps her most famous song. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's become a guilty pleasure of mine:


No comments:

Post a Comment