Monday, March 3, 2014

As Pothole Season Peaks On Roads, Two Photographers Have Awesome Fun With the Scourge

While I was driving around yesterday here in Vermont, I ended up with a headache from bouncing into up and over all the potholes and frost heaves left for us from a cold, changeable, schizophrenic winter.
A photo from the Luciano/Ficca
"My Potholes" series.  

It's been a wild winter in much of North America and city streets throughout much of the United States and Canada are showing it.

I wish I had a penny for every tire, suspension, shock absorber or alignment screwed up by running over the zillions of large, growing and multiplying potholes out there.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Two photographers, David Luciano and Claudia Ficca did just that, roaming the streets of New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and Montreal using potholes as a creative muse for all kinds of fun scenes.

Their project is called "My Potholes"  Nothing is photoshopped, according to the pair. They meticulously planned out the scenes, models, wardrobes and props.

This whole project reminds me the time a number of years ago when the "Pothole Bandit"  um, terrorized Burlington, Vermont, near where I live.

The bandit, fed up with all the potholes in Burlington during a tough winter, decided to get back at the city for its perceived lack of repairs by planting trees in the potholes.
Another image from the "My Potholes" series.  

In any event, you can ponder the Pothole Bandit and the "My Potholes" photo series while the mechanic fixes your pothole damaged car.

No comments:

Post a Comment