Saturday, July 12, 2014

Flashback: Mama Cass Elliot "Dream A Little Dream" Delights

Every once in awhile I hear a blast from the past on the truck radio that puts me in a good mood for days.

Heard this song for the first time in years the other day
I'd forgotten how awesome the song, and Mama Cass Elliot were.  
That happened the other day when the local oldies station played the old Mama Cass Elliot classic "Dream A Little Dream Of Me," which I hadn't heard in maybe a decade or more.

When it came out in 1968, I was about five years old. It sounded like a lullaby to me, and since I was a high strung little jerk tyke it calmed me down.

The song still does. At least when I hear Mama Cass's version.

Apparently, "Dream A Little Dream" was written in 1931, and recorded that year by Ozzie Nelson of all people.

It's been recorded dozens upon dozens of times since. Among the people who released recordings of "Dream A Little Dream" are Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Shore, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Doris Day, Dean Martin, Mills Brothers, Henry Mancini

Also, Anne Murray, Chicago, My Morning Jacket, Diana Krall, Erasure, Michael Buble, Robbie Williams and Eddie Vedder. A German heavy metal band called Blind Guardian also did a thrashing version of it.

But nothing, of course, can beat Mama Cass. Here's a video of her singing the song.  I hope it's a peaceful lullaby for you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment