Monday, July 14, 2014

Here's My Memorial To Tommy Ramone

As many of you likely heard, Tommy Ramone died last Friday at the age of 65. He had been the last surviving original member of the Ramones.
The Ramones, in the late 1970s.  

Maybe people thought I was strange when I was a teenager in rather insulated, isolated West Rutland, Vermont, but I was one of the few people around who loved their thrashing, wild sound.

But as I grew older and moved to different places, I found there were many, MANY other people like me who loved the insanity that was the Ramones.

Yeah, "I Want To Be Sedated" and "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" weren't the pinnacle of lyrical cleverness, so what?

The Ramones were meant to be cathartic.

As a memorial, and for the aforementioned catharsis, and since it's summer and fitting, I present you with "Rockaway Beach" by the Ramones. Go ahead, crank it up as loud as you can. Bother the neighbors. Bother the other sunbathers at whatever beach you're at.

It will be worth it:

No comments:

Post a Comment