Friday, April 1, 2016

Cookie Monster Shills For Siri and I Have Mixed Emotions

The cookie monster has Siri on an iPhone help him,  hands free
with timing a batch of cookies, and starting his
"waiting for cookies" musical playlist.  
Ever since I was a toddler, I admired and related to the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.

His enthusiasm, his lack of self control, his goofiness, his impatience and ultimate warm heartedness perfectly matched my ADHD addled brain, and I am grateful to him.

Side note: Did you know the Cookie Monster has his own Twitter feed? I didn't, until now. Cool!

I'm also something of a cookie monster myself, so there's that.

Which led me to mixed emotions over the past couple weeks when I've seen the Cookie Monster shilling for an iPhone 6S with timer on frequent television ads.  The ad video is at the bottom of this post.

I don't know why, but I'm a bit uncomfortable seeing one of my childhood favorites hawking products on TV.  It's actually a little worse than hearing one of my favorite songs from the past being the theme for, I don't know, a constipation medication ad or something.

On the other hand, the commercial is funny, and even after seeing it a few times, it still makes both me and my husband Jeff chuckle.

In the ad, the Cookie Monster is, obviously, making cookies. To tout the iPhone with a voice activated Siri, he tells Siri to set the timer for 14 minutes. The cookies will be ready in just 14 minutes! Yay!

He then asks Siri to start his "waiting"music playlist. We hear the plaintive song "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce as we see the Cookie Monster agonizingly wait out the timer for his cookies.

So, see what you think. Is the ad a childhood memory besmirched for you, or a clever, fun ad, or both.

You decide.

Here's the Cookie Monster Ad:

No comments:

Post a Comment